Sunday, June 10, 2012

British Life and Culture - #4

Today was so fun! I woke up and called Anna Marie to see what her flat was doing today. They said they were going to a market in Liverpool and I decided to go with them. I met them at the Great Portland Street Station and we rode the tube to Liverpool. It was such a short trip and easy to figure out.

When we got off at the Liverpool stop, we were surprised at the station. It was huge! We figured it was also a "national" station. It was like a mini Grand Central Station. There were shops and entrances and exits all over the place. Finally, we found our way out of the actual station.

We weren't sure where the market was so we just started wandering in one direction. Liverpool was so pretty and looked very quaint. We started to see many people carrying bags coming out of one particular area so we headed in that direction. We found a sign that confirmed we were going the right way. From the sign, I learned that we were going to the Old Spitalfields Market! I was so excited. I had already heard about this market from a couple other girls but this group said they were going to a Liverpool market so I didn't know it was this one.

The market was covered and was much nicer than I had expected. The other girls were hungry so we stopped to eat at Giraffe before we started looking. After we sat down, I got my phone out to call Emily , since I knew she, Kelsey, and Anna were going to that market today. As soon as I started calling her phone I saw them walk by! I ran over to try to catch them and Mary heard me calling her name so she came over to say hey.

After everyone was done eating, we started shopping! We said we would meet back in one hour. There was so much to look at I was overwhelmed at first. After the first hour, we met back. Haley and I hadn't even gotten through half of the booths that were set up. Then Anna Marie told us there was a whole other side! So we decided to shop for another hour, until 5, when it closed. Haley and I finished looking at all the booths on the first side. I had gotten a blue flowy, lacey top and a tank top with a Chanel perfume bottle on it. Haley and I stuck together and at this point we had 10 minutes until we had to all meet back up and the market closed. We went to the other side of the market just to look at what they had over there. The first booth we walked up to we both fell in love with. She got a sweater from there and I got a skirt. We said we both wanted to come back another day to see the second side.

At 5, we all got on the tube and headed back to our flats. We stopped at a grocery store and I got dinner and pasta for lunch tomorrow for only 3 pounds!! If we had gone to a restaurant, that would've cost at least 12 pounds. I decided I wanted to start eating from the grocery store more often. Tomorrow is the first day of class and I can't wait to see what's in store for me during the next six weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment