Wednesday, June 13, 2012

British Life and Culture - #6

Today was our first actual lecture about British Life and Culture. I ended up sleeping in this morning since I haven't been feeling well. I'm disappointed I'm sick because it turned out to be such a nice day outside. Anna, Kelsey, and Mary went for a walk in Regents Park and I can't wait until I can do stuff like that in the nice weather once my cold leaves. Everyone sat around the flat and ate lunch until we had to leave for class.

We all walked to the University London Union for class. Our lecturer was a British sociologist. My favorite part about the lecture was hearing the assumptions that the British have about Americans. They think we're all very loud in public places and compared to them we are. However, I'm convinced that the reason they're so quiet in the tube and stations is that they're traveling alone and they don't have their friends around them to talk to. There are so many differences between here and home that many people don't realize. From my experience, people think since they speak English here it's just like home. It was also fun coming up with names for the list of famous British people we knew. He also gave us some history on the United Kingdom. I missed the first part because I drank an entire smoothie and then an entire bottle of water so about an hour and a half into the lecture I desperately needed to use the restroom. At least I caught the last bit of history about Scotland and Ireland.

After class, we stopped by the grocery store to pick up dinner and some other things. We hung around the apartment until it was time to go see Wicked. We all got dressed up in dresses and some sparkly things. We took the tube to Victoria and we saw the play at the Apollo Victoria Theater. This was my first time seeing Wicked and I thought it was so good. Everything in it was so clever and I loved seeing the "behind-the-scenes" of Wizard of Oz. I like how it didn't have Dorothy in it. It would talk about her a little and I kept wondering if there would be a Dorothy character but I'm glad there wasn't because I think that would've taken away from the witch. I was so excited to go see this play. The next play we're going to see is Lion King, which I've seen before at the Fox. I wish we were going to see something more British like Mary Poppins but Lion King will still be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment