Friday, June 15, 2012

British Life and Culture - #8

We took one of our day trips to Bath and Stonehenge today! We all met at 8:30am downstairs in Hampden House to wait on our bus. We got on and off we went. The drive was about 2 hours to Bath so I made sure to bring a pillow and blanket so I could nap a little on the way there. There were all kinds of weather on the way there. It was pouring down rain at some point and it was sunny part of the way too. When we got there, it was gorgeous outside. The sun was out and shining so we got to see all of the beautiful landscape. There were hills and hills of grassland that looked like it just went on for miles. We saw a little bit of the town on our drive in before we were dropped off at the actual baths. There is a law in Bath that all the buildings have to be built in the same limestone.

We arrived at the baths and took a tour. When we first walked in we saw this big open pool of green water. The architecture around the bath was beautiful. We walked downstairs and saw the different parts of the baths. There were several rooms down there to see and even models of what the full structure looked like. Then we went to drink the water. It's supposed to be a healing water. I wasn't planning on drinking it but since I have a cold a few girls convinced me to try it. I took a little sip of the water and I made sure to get my picture so I could document that I actually did it. It was warm and a little salty. It didn't taste that great but the aftertaste was even worse. I just hope it cures my cold!

After we toured the baths, we had a little free time for lunch. Mary told us about this bun place to go eat at for lunch so we just followed. I didn't know much about it but I wanted to try it. Good thing I went because that was the best meal I've had in a very long time. I got a sandwich and Emily and I shared a chocolate bun for dessert. I can't decide which one was better. We had to quickly finish up eating because our tour guide had us on a tight schedule. We hurried to  meet the group and then we all went to the Fashion Museum.

The Fashion Museum had so many great costumes to see. I think my favorite was the Dress of the Year Alexander McQueen. It was so pretty. Then we went upstairs and looked around in the giftshop. They had so many cute books on fashion that I wanted to buy all of them. The building that the museum was in was called the Assembly Rooms. There were more rooms upstairs so we walked around a little bit. We went into the Ballroom and the Tea Room, which were both stunning. They had the tallest ceilings,  beautiful chandeliers, and the most gorgeous architecture. After our tour, we got on the bus to go to Stonehenge.

We got to Stonehenge and had 30 minutes to look around. Although we were rushed, that was plenty of time for me to look around because it was freeeeeeezing outside! The wind was ridiculous. We walked all around Stonehenge and I think I got a picture from every angle. I was a little disappointed we couldn't get closer than we did but I still got good pictures. When we were finished looking, we got back on the bus and headed to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment