Friday, July 13, 2012

British Life and Culture - #21

Today was our last British Life and Culture classroom class. We met for class at the ULU at 10:00. We were split up into pairs and each pair had to complete a small quiz. We had a set of questions about a certain topic and we had to answer three of them to share with the class. My partner was Emily and we had the topic London Men and Women. The three people we talked about were Madame Tussauds, Sarah Siddons, and Ava, the daughter of Lord Byron. Jose seemed pretty familiar with Sarah Siddons, who was a Shakespearean actress and known for the role of Lady MacBeth. Jose said she was really famous. He was also intrigued by Ava, who was the world's first computer programmer. Mary knew a lot about Ava and her background. It was so interesting to hear about everyone's questions they answered. We heard about everything from theater, to the London underground, to the London dead. When everyone was done answering their questions, we got to leave.


Emily and I went back to the flat to have lunch. After we ate, she went to meet Kelsey so they could go to Camden Market together. I had already been there for class and it wasn’t my favorite part of London so I decided not to go. I wanted to go visit the store that I was doing a project on for my Store Design and Visual Merchandising class. Mary said she would go with me, which I was so glad about. We had passed the store before on one of our walks during class a couple weeks ago. I thought the setup of the store was really interesting so I tried to take a picture. The front wall was all glass and everyone inside the store could see out. When I was going to take the picture, I could tell they weren’t thrilled about it. I was nervous about going back and asking them a bunch of questions and Mary is really good with that sort of thing so I was happy she offered to go. We finally met up and had a little trouble finding the store. I knew what area it was in and what road it was on but I couldn’t remember exactly where it was. I looked it up on the internet before we left so I went to pull out my phone to look it up again but I forgot I couldn’t use the internet here without wifi, which has turned out to be a hassle sometimes, like this one. We eventually found it and went inside. I asked a saleswoman some questions and she was really nice. She answered everything for me and gave me a lot of useful information.

Then Mary left to meet up with Kelsey and Emily but I wanted to walk around the area a little more. We had only been to that part of London for a little while during class so I wanted to see what else was there. After, I took the metro to Kensington and walked around that area for a little while. Then it started raining so I headed back to the flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment